Saturday, September 19, 2015

Natural Selection & History of Life




                                                    Hi There,


            This week is the second week of lecture and previously we had discussed most things on Evolution.As for this week, we had finished discussing on natural selection and the history of life. Basically, theory of evolution is about all species evolving over time due to  variation, mutation and natural selection. We had also given the task to watch in advance a video entitle Selection in Action which explains natural  selection and artificial selection. We even had to make a comic strip on natural selection which was fun but tiring since it took hours for me to draw. Luckily, my hobby is in fact drawing cartoons.We did a comic strip that shows natural selection involving white and black moths.


         In addition,we also did an SCL activity on biogeography, embryology and anatomy which consist of  anologous structures and homologous structures in animals whether they are from the same species or different species.Then, we continued our discussion  on  the new technology which furthers our understanding of evolution.It was quite interesting.

       The next few hours of lecture , Dr. Parameswari had taught us a new topic which is History of Life. I didn't expect that it is about earth trillions or billions years ago we're there 's absolutely no living things. I was expecting to learn something more simple. How naive could I be? Based on my understanding after the lecture, I have learned that there are only inorganic compound on early earth, but then suddenly due to chemical evolution, organic molecules started to form. This is based on the prebiotic broth hypothesis which was then experimented by Miller and Urey. I was amazed that these scientist succeed to prove the theory and produced simple amino acid. I wish I could do the experiment someday.


I have also learned that RNA existed first before DNA because of its characteristic which it can self-replicate. This then led to the existence of protobionts which consist of microsphere, coacervates and liposomes. Hence, prokaryotes existed which continues to evolves into eukaryotes.These kind of knowledge are new to me and it is interesting to know how lives came about.Since, this topic has all been covered, next week we will learn about prokaryotic cells,virus, viriod and prions.I can't wait~

No comments:

Post a Comment