Saturday, October 17, 2015

Pollination and Development of Plant Embyo

         

                            Good Evening!

         This is the 6th week I  am studying in this course. This week is quite hectic but luckily it   did not affect me in a bad way. This week, I have learned about pollination and development of plant embryo. I did recall what I have been taught at secondary school whereas plants undergo pollination which is self-pollination and cross-pollination. Some plants need the help of a pollination agent such as animal and wind according to their own characteristics.
 
 Pollination is the transfer of pollen in the anther to the stigma and then proceed into the part of a seed plant containing the ovules. Initially, the pollen grain sticks to the stigma and germinate. It will divide by mitosis to produce two sperm cell. One sperm cell will fertillize with the egg cell and one sperm cell will fertilize with two polar nulei.This process is called double fertillization.  It was quite easy since I am just recalling the things that I have learned in the past.


The new things that I have learned this week is  plant embryogenesis which is the process that produces a plant embryo from a fertilised ovule by asymmetric cell division and the differentiation of undifferentiated cells into tissues and organs. It occurs during seed development, when the single-celled zygote undergoes a programmed pattern of cell division resulting in a mature embryo.From what I understand is that after the plant fertillized, it divide mitotically until it forms a mature embryo.
For somatic embryogenesis, there will not be a fussion of gametes and they will not form a suspensor which is necessary for normal development of embryo. I will try to search for a more detailed information especially videos since its easier and more convincing. I can't believe that next week is the last class with Dr. Parameswari .

No comments:

Post a Comment